When you have a bit of spare time as a home owner it normally goes on maintaining or redecorating your home. Sometimes it can be enjoyable but sometimes you don’t know where to start or how to fix something. Don’t fear, we have some of our best house DIY tips and tricks to help you out.
(1) Don’t wash brushes and rollers after every coat, as it ends up taking a lot of time. Just wrap them tightly in cling film and they’ll stay moist. When you are ready to start painting again, unwrap them and they will still be good to use. It also stops paint getting everywhere. If you need tips for redecorating your home, we have some handy tips for you to help you out!
(2) Sprinkle talcum powder onto squeaky door hinges and floorboards. The powder will help to reduce friction between the boards and will eliminate the squeaking.
(3) Baby oil will get paint residue off your skin easily. Pour some onto a cloth and rub over the paint residue and it should quickly disappear. This is a great tip for after a day of painting when paint manages to get everywhere!
(4) Does the smell of paint taking over your house put you off wanting to start painting jobs? Add a little bit of vanilla essence to your paint tin to prevent overbearing paint fumes and reduce the smell. Ensure to open windows in addition, to reduce the build up of fumes in your house.
(5) This tip will help nails enter wood smoothly. Grab a bar of soap and gently rub the tips of the nails on the bar then they will enter the wood much smoother.
(6) Have you got a paint spillage you want to clean up? Take some linseed oil and rub it directly onto the stain. Then you can simply scrape the paint off and get rid of the mess.
(7) To prevent paint dripping down the side of the can and messing up surfaces in your home, glue a paper plate to the bottom of your paint cans. This easy trick will help instantly solve this DIY dilemma.
(8) When hanging things up on walls around your home, to make sure that the screws are securely in place, add a drop of clear nail varnish to the hole just before you finish tightening. This will ensure the screws stay securely in place.
(9) Next time you are cutting delicate fabrics, dip your scissors in boiling water before cutting. This will make the cut a lot smoother and easier.
(10) To keep your paint fresh, add a couple of caps of methylated spirits, then place the lid on. Don’t stir until you next need to use it, then it should be ready to use the next time you need it and stops wastage.
So, when you have some spare time for DIY odd jobs or are in the middle of a big DIY project, these 10 handy tips should save you some time and energy and help make the jobs easier. We have loads more DIY tips on the blog, and if you are in DIY mode, check out how to chose the right glue for the job. Let us know if you have tried any of these tips on our Facebook Page or Tweet us over on the BuySpares page.