Coffee for some people is an essential part of their morning routine. It helps to wake you up and get you through your day. However, there are so many other uses for coffee, in particular, coffee grounds. We have 10 alternative uses for the grounds right here.
(1) Use it as a repellant for ants. Sprinkle it around the areas in your garden where you get the most ant and ant hills. This also works to repel slugs and snails too.
(2) Due to the high levels of acid, coffee grounds can also enrich your compost, so add them to your compost heap in your garden.
(3) Another use is repairing scratched wooden furniture. Mix equal amounts of grounds and olive oil to form a paste. Apply to the scratch with a piece of cotton wool, leave it for 5 minutes, then rinse clean. Before doing this test it out first on a small section of the item in an inconspicuous place to ensure it doesn’t react badly to it.
(4) Coffee grounds contain a high amount of acid, so use them and sprinkle them generously over your flowerbeds. This will give your plants extra nutrients so they can bloom.
(5) Eliminating bad odors is another use. If you have prepared food involving strong smelling foods e.g. garlic or onion, when you wash your hands, add some coffee grounds into the process to reduce the smell. Just rub the grounds into your hands with some soap.
(6) If you often find bad smells coming from stronger smelling food in your fridge, coffee grounds can also help reduce this. Dry out coffee grounds on a baking tray, then place in a bowl and keep it in the fridge. This helps to absorb some of the stronger smells.
(7) If you have a pet dog this tip is for you. After giving your dog a bath, rub 1 cup of coffee grounds into his fur, then wash off. This will make their fur nice and smooth but also it helps to kill flees.
(8) Coffee is a great way to enhance the taste of chocolate as it helps to bring out its rich flavors. Next time you are making a chocolate cake, add coffee grounds into the mix to make it even more delicious.
(9) Want to add a hint of smokiness to your meats? When you are marinating meat, add a tablespoon of coffee grounds into the mix. This will not only add a smokiness but will also help to tenderize the meat.
(10)Want to create your very own DIY facemask? Simply mix coffee grounds and milk together to form a paste. Apply to your face for 20 minutes, then rinse clean. This is a natural antioxidant which makes it a great cleanser for your skin.
So, next time when you are thinking about throwing away your coffee grounds, try some of these uses for it. Let us know how you get on. In the meantime have a read on our blog about getting your garden ready for autumn.