It’s an absolute nightmare when you get home from work to find that the food in your fridge or freezer is warm and past its best. Is your fridge not maintaining temperature? There are a number of things that can trigger this off. Here’s what to check for, and what to do about it:
- Dials- are the dials turned to the correct temperature? Check your manual for suggested temperatures to keep your food at its best. If you want to keep an accurate account of the temperature at all times then a fridge thermometer will be extremely useful to you.
- Have you put warm food into the fridge or freezer? This is a classic error! When warm foods are introduced to your fridge freezer, it will alter the entire temperature. Always make sure that your food is cooled down to room temperature before you put it in the fridge.
- Door seal- is your fridge door seal still working to its full potential? Over time and repeated use, the door seal can lose its effectiveness. If this has happened, then it’s time to change your door seal right away.
- Auto defrost- If your fridge freezer is a ‘frost free’ one, then when the frost free mechanism is operating, it’s completely normal that it will temporarily stop cooling. This is not something to worry about.
- Opening and closing the fridge and freezer doors- Frequent opening and closing of the doors can affect the temperature of your food. Avoid leaving the door open for prolong periods of time.
- If the appliance is turning on and off- there may be a problem with the mains cable. Check for kinks and damages, and change this if necessary.
- Is a large item blocking the airflow? This is possible, as an item that takes up an entire shelf can restrict the flow of cold air. If this is the case, rethink the arrangement in your fridge or freezer.
With all this information you will hopefully have a consistent fridge/freezer temperature for years to come. General fridge and freezer maintenance is very important for the lifespan of your appliance so be sure to keep on top of it. Don’t forget, we sell an excellent range of fridge and freezer parts, from door seals to new fridge water filters.